DataCite is looking for a Full Stack Application Developer to join the DataCite development team in a fully remote position. You will be involved in furthering the technology in our services that support our mission.
DataCite is a leading global non-profit organization that provides persistent identifiers (DOIs) for research outputs. DataCite was founded in 2009 to support the research community in identifying, locating, accessing, and citing research outputs with confidence. DataCite develops services that enable easier access to research and provide a way for researchers to share and get credit for the outputs they generate.
Working at Datacite
We are a fully remote team, this means we don't have a physical office, we work where it's most comfortable. The team is distributed across several European countries, Japan, Canada, and the United States, supporting a global community of organizational members across 48 countries.
The DataCite development team has built and maintains the software that is running DataCite services, and our codebase has been made openly available under a permissive open source license. The languages, frameworks, and tools the team is using are constantly evolving, adjusting to the needs of DataCite members, and evolving community practices.
All our work is publicly available at https://github.com/datacite
Responsibilities and duties
- Develop full-stack product features in an open source software environment, including user-facing front-end services and backend APIs.
- Software refactoring and making sure services run smoothly.
- Test, deploy and monitor applications, and react to problems.
- Collaborate with product design and other stakeholders within the engineering team to provide a quality and iterative environment.
- Advocate for product quality, security and performance.
- Follow industry best practices for a high scale web environment and work with the team to provide suggestions for improvement.
- Technical support for DataCite members and third parties, including supporting technical documentation.
- Based in an EMEA timezone, preferably in Europe.
- Proven experience as a Full stack Developer.
- 3+ years of experience with server-side languages such as Ruby, Python, Java or .NET
- Hands-on experience developing, deploying, and maintaining web applications, including system administration, error tracking, and support.
- Familiarity with relational databases and search engines such as ElasticSearch.
- Familiarity with DevOps practices, Infrastructure as Code using Terraform and cloud providers (AWS)
- Excellent communication skills, and the flexibility that is needed for working in a small, distributed team.
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Ruby and Rails.
- Interest and/or experience with React and Next.js.
- Strong interest in open science and data sharing.
- Experience with performance investigation and optimisation.
- Understanding of code review processes.
- Good technical documentation skills.
- Computer science education or equivalent experience.
- Interest to learn and use other programming languages.
- Familiarity with events driven architecture, distributed systems, serverless architecture and async processing
Above all what we value are smart and engaged software engineers who care about the work they do and the quality of the end result, this makes up for any lack of experience you may have in any of the above requirements.
Why work for us
- Fully remote position.
- Competitive local salary.
- 30 days vacation time annually and 1 day paid extra for volunteer work of your choice.
- Flexible working hours.
- Option to work in co-working with a paid contribution from us.
- Opportunity to learn something new every day, we are an evolving community and team
- Adaptable - We embrace change and uncertainty and work together to adapt to new situations
Please send a resume and statement of interest to Sarala Wimalaratne (firstname.lastname@example.org). We only accept applications by individuals. We would like the candidate to start in this role as soon as possible. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.