Our Vision: Connecting research, identifying knowledge.
Our Mission: DataCite’s mission is to be the world's leading provider of persistent identifiers for research. Through our portfolio of services, we provide the means to create, find, cite, connect, and use research. We seek to create value and develop community-driven, innovative, open, integrated, useable, and sustainable services for research.
What we do: DataCite is a leading global non-profit organisation that provides persistent identifiers (DOIs) for research data and other research outputs. Organizations within the research community join DataCite as members to be able to assign DOIs to all their research outputs. This way, their outputs become discoverable and associated metadata is made available to the community. DataCite then develops additional services to improve the DOI management experience, making it easier for our members to connect and share their DOIs with the broader research ecosystem and to assess the use of their DOIs within that ecosystem.
DataCite is an active participant in the research community and promotes data sharing and citation through community-building efforts and outreach activities.
- DataCite is trustworthy – we’re fully dedicated to open research and all its related content.
- We advocate for the role of all research content in the research landscape – we engage in outreach that reflect the interests of our diverse community.
- We’re community owned and driven – founded by the research community, we’re a democratic organization that engages with and listens to the broad research community to meet the needs of researchers.
- We provide timely support to our members – we respond quickly to the changing needs of our community, adding new services as needed.
- We actively involve our membership in the building of new services – we’re open to building services for all types of technologies.
- We’re a global leader – we have an international reputation for providing DOIs for traditional and non-traditional research outputs.
- We’re transparent – we have a structure that allows us to be proactive, agile, and responsive to the needs of the research community.