DataCite is an open infrastructure organization that aims to transcend discipline and geographic boundaries. During 2022, DataCite began to implement the next iteration of the DataCite Strategic Plan. As part of the strategic plan implementation, we identified global adoption as a key cross-pillar theme -- which brings together focussed engagement, adoption and implementation strategies
In order to support the growth of DataCite's international community, focussed regional support and engagement within lesser represented and emerging regions is needed. Through focused regional engagement activities across the different regions, DataCite would be better able to support equitable access to our infrastructure services, ensuring that researchers and research organizations globally have the opportunity to benefit from open infrastructure services.
Therefore, DataCite is seeking to hire three Regional Engagement Specialists for an initial period of 1 year, preferably based in Africa, Latin-America, the Middle East or South/South-East Asia, or with extensive experience with one of these regions.
The candidates will be members of the DataCite Community Engagement team, which collaborates directly with our community to facilitate adoption, promote change, and deliver value through the use of our open infrastructure services.
(1) Lead engagement activities in the region
- Carry out an analysis of the needs and education opportunities per region
- Seek collaborative opportunities in different regions to interact with local communities
- Explore the benefits of setting up a DataCite ambassadors program with people from different countries * communicating in different languages
(2) Develop educational materials and find dissemination opportunities
- Consolidate basic information about DataCite, its role in the region, and participation opportunities in the region in different languages
- Provide best practices and policy guidance to facilitate communication between stakeholders
- Provide case studies on how different groups use DataCite - demonstrate that participation is possible with limited technical resources e.g. through DataCite DOI Fabrica
(3) Assist organizations in setting up the necessary open science infrastructure
- Analyze the infrastructure landscape and use of different platforms per region
- Collaborate with repository platforms/service providers on providing integrations for certain regions
- Set up user groups where users of the same platform can benefit from each other's expertise and/or reuse each other's code for integrations
Required skills and qualifications
- University degree
- Familiar with research infrastructure and the open science landscape
- Sufficient technical skills to advise members on adoption and integration
- Passionate about open science
- Familiar with a not-for-profit environment and the transparency that entails
- Ability to work with a distributed team across time zones
- Strong, compelling, and clear written, oral, and visual communication
- Self-motivated to succeed and take initiative and seek continuous improvement
- Outreach experience, particularly engaging with global and technical audiences
- Brings a good network in the relevant region
- Experience working in an international environment
- Comfortable working remotely
Why work for us
- Remote position.
- Competitive local salary.
- 30 days vacation time annually, plus 1 day paid extra for volunteer work of your choice.
- Flexible working hours.
- Option to work in a co-working space with a paid contribution from DataCite.
- Opportunity to learn something new every day.
DataCite brings rigor to the scholarly record by connecting research outputs and resources–from data and preprint to images and samples. We support the creation and management of metadata records including persistent identifiers (PIDs), enhance research workflows with service integration, and enable the discovery and reuse of research outputs and resources.
We are a global community of communities that share a common interest: To ensure that research outputs and resources are freely available and connected so that their reuse can advance knowledge across and between disciplines.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
DataCite is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy or a condition related to pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, and physical or mental disability. DataCite will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities in accordance with applicable law.
Please send a resume and statement of interest to Helena Cousijn [firstname.lastname@example.org] by the 15th of January, 2023. Interviews will start late January. Candidates who meet the qualifications will be invited to a 30-minute screening call. Those subsequently shortlisted will be invited to a 60-minute online interview which will include an exercise you’ll have a chance to prepare for. Feel free to contact us should you have any questions about the role.
DataCite is looking for a Full Stack Application Developer to join the DataCite development team in a fully remote position. You will be involved in furthering the technology in our services that support our mission.
DataCite is a leading global non-profit organization that provides persistent identifiers (DOIs) for research outputs. DataCite was founded in 2009 to support the research community in identifying, locating, accessing, and citing research outputs with confidence. DataCite develops services that enable easier access to research and provide a way for researchers to share and get credit for the outputs they generate.
Working at Datacite
We are a fully remote team, this means we don't have a physical office, we work where it's most comfortable. The team is distributed across several European countries, Japan, Canada, and the United States, supporting a global community of organizational members across 48 countries.
The DataCite development team has built and maintains the software that is running DataCite services, and our codebase has been made openly available under a permissive open source license. The languages, frameworks, and tools the team is using are constantly evolving, adjusting to the needs of DataCite members, and evolving community practices.
All our work is publicly available at https://github.com/datacite
Responsibilities and duties
- Develop full-stack product features in an open source software environment, including user-facing front-end services and backend APIs.
- Software refactoring and making sure services run smoothly.
- Test, deploy and monitor applications, and react to problems.
- Collaborate with product design and other stakeholders within the engineering team to provide a quality and iterative environment.
- Advocate for product quality, security and performance.
- Follow industry best practices for a high scale web environment and work with the team to provide suggestions for improvement.
- Technical support for DataCite members and third parties, including supporting technical documentation.
- Proven experience as a Full stack Developer.
- 3+ years of experience with server-side languages such as Ruby, Python, Java or .NET
- Hands-on experience developing, deploying, and maintaining web applications, including system administration, error tracking, and support.
- Familiarity with relational databases and search engines such as ElasticSearch.
- Familiarity with DevOps practices, Infrastructure as Code using Terraform and cloud providers (AWS)
- Excellent communication skills, and the flexibility that is needed for working in a small, distributed team.
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Ruby and Rails.
- Interest and/or experience with React and Next.js.
- Strong interest in open science and data sharing.
- Experience with performance investigation and optimisation.
- Understanding of code review processes.
- Good technical documentation skills.
- Computer science education or equivalent experience.
- Interest to learn and use other programming languages.
- Familiarity with events driven architecture, distributed systems, serverless architecture and async processing
Above all what we value are smart and engaged software engineers who care about the work they do and the quality of the end result, this makes up for any lack of experience you may have in any of the above requirements.
Why work for us
- Fully remote position.
- Competitive local salary.
- 30 days vacation time annually and 1 day paid extra for volunteer work of your choice.
- Flexible working hours.
- Option to work in co-working with a paid contribution from us.
- Opportunity to learn something new every day, we are an evolving community and team
- Adaptable - We embrace change and uncertainty and work together to adapt to new situations
Please send a resume and statement of interest to Sarala Wimalaratne (email@example.com). We only accept applications by individuals. We would like the candidate to start in this role as soon as possible. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.
DataCite is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy or a condition related to pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, uniform service member status, or any other protected class under applicable law. DataCite will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities in accordance with applicable law.